This article details the findings of a water report of 28 million American households.
The study found 11 compounds in the water, albeit at low levels. Atrazine was the one that stood out most to me, mostly because I've heard of it before. Here is a smattering of the other 11 compounds:
• Carbamazepine, a mood-stabilising drug used to treat bipolar disorder, amongst other things
• Estrone, an oestrogen hormone secreted by the ovaries and blamed for causing gender-bending changes in fish
• Meprobamate, a tranquiliser widely used in psychiatric treatment
• Naproxen, a painkiller and anti-inflammatory linked to increases in asthma incidence
• Phenytoin, an anticonvulsant that has been used to treat epilepsy
Plus, there were a number of antibiotics.If you're concerned about what comes out of your tap, you should consider adding a water purification system. My house came equipped with one under the kitchen sink, for drinking water only. It's an Amway brand and it seemingly does a good job, though I must say I've never done a chemical comparison test. I can taste the difference, however.
I replace the filter once a year, at a cost of about $65 a year. A little over a dollar a week for filtered water beats the cost of using bottled water, and it has a much smaller environmental impact.
Do you use a filter for your water? If so, what kind? Have you had your water tested? What chemical surprised you most?
i'm not sure if your standard water filter does anything about pharmaceuticals in your water... but I'd be interested to know.
ReplyDeleteit's obviously a good idea to have it - I'd like to have a whole house system - for removing chlorine, etc. 'cause chlorine's been linked to all sorts of issues.
In other water-related news, check out this site http://www.applet-magic.com/NAWAPA.htm for a look at a bold plan to redo the plumbing of North America.
ReplyDeleteLong story short, it makes the case for redirecting water resources that flow into the Arctic south to southern Canada, the U.S. and Mexico to produce significant amounts of hydroelectric power and open up vast amounts of land to ag production (e.g. the site says irrigated acreage in Mexico alone could triple).
The dollar figures quoted for the cost of this mammoth project are sadly out of date, and the feasibility of what would be the most ambitious engineering feat ever attempted is beyond my ability to comment on with any authority.
Any hydrologists care to weight in?