While perhaps well-meaning, Google is overstepping its bounds in trying to shape the nation's energy future.
Google has been quietly pushing an energy agenda with the Obama Administration, and on February 11 the Internet giant unveiled Google PowerMeter, a program that helps people monitor their home power consumption. See the article here. See Google's own blog on the topic here.
Again, all good and well, but I think Google already has enough of a handle on what Americans do with their time, money and conversations (public Web, e-mail, phone).
This is coming from someone who loves Google products like youtube, and blogger, which supports this particular blog.
I remember when I first saw Google in action. It must have been the late 90s. I was an editor at a newspaper, and a hotshot intern was showing me the search engine he really like. And it beat the heck out of the multiple search engines I was using at the time. It was just a simple little search box on a white Web page.
At its core essence, Google hasn't changed so much. In what else it does, it has taken a life of its own that is probably too much power for one entity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment